Monday, May 10, 2010

Are You A Zebra?

STRIPES OR NO STRIPES; THAT IS THE QUESTION

I woke up this morning wondering if Zebras believe they are better than donkeys. (It is a good thing I did not have to work today because it got me thinking for a long time.)

Zebras seem like they always take extra care to look ‘just so’ and donkeys are frumpy in comparison. I still don’t know if zebras feel superior to donkeys, but I do know this: people judge other people by how they look all the time.

Case in point: last week, I held a first class ticket on Via Rail from Quebec to Montreal but was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. As I approached the first class lounge, I was stopped and told to go to the back of the line for economy ticket holders. At the same time, a woman in a very smart business suit bi-passed the same line and let herself into the lounge, no questions asked. In this example, she was a zebra, and I was an ass.

Not convinced? Then ask 5 kids under four which they would rather be when they grow up and I will bet you dollars to donuts that at least 4 will say, “Zebra, I want to be a zebra.” Why? Because they know that zebras demand more respect just by how they look.

Do you want to go places? Then dress like a zebra and people will more likely clear a path for you. Sure a zebra is more likely than a donkey to be taken down by a lion or river croc, but that is the subject of another week’s newsletter.

Have a great week!

PAUL HUSCHILT'S FREE FLUFF AND OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS is a complimentary weekly newsletter. Forward it to a friend. To learn how you can, with permission and thanks, reprint in your own publication for free, simply email paul@paulhuschilt.com.

Paul Huschilt is an award-winning speaker who specializes in humour and workplace wellness. Visit www.paulhuschilt.com to see if he might be the perfect intervention at your next meeting.

**********************

Dressing For The Job is very important in your job search. Do you need a suit? Not for all jobs, but you make a good impression when you dress up to show respect to the person who is interviewing you.

Good luck on your job search.

Fran

No comments: