Thursday, January 21, 2010

Employee or Solution Provider???

Are you an employee or a solution provider?
posted by: rich trombetta on 01/10/10

“I’m Winston Wolf. I solve problems.” - Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction
Are you an employee or a solution provider?

By Rich Trombetta
TweetMyJOBS
http://www.TweetMyJOBS.com
@tweetmyjobs

There is no question that the number of unemployed people in America is at a staggering number – 10%. Due to this situation, many job seekers are working on their resume, networking, and using new job tools to look for opportunities. There is one very important thing to remember when looking for a job – you need to position yourself as solution provider, not simply a potential employee.

One of my favorite scenes ever in a movie is in Pulp Fiction. John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson have gotten themselves into quite a predicament (no need for the gory details here) and they need help badly. A couple of phone calls are made and within minutes Harvey Keitel arrives, he rings the door bell, the door opens, and Keitel says, “I’m Winston Wolf. I solve problems.”

That is what you need to be to an employer – Winston Wolf. Regardless of the position, you are being hired because there is a need. There is a gap. Someone needs help.

The more you realize that you are solving a problem or addressing a need, the more valuable you will be perceived. For example, I was once in a group exploratory interview where about 20 of us were involved with a question and answer session with some leaders at a company. Everyone was asking the typical boring questions. “What type of background do you look for?” “What makes a successful candidate.” Blah, blah, blah. I asked, “looking at things from a very high level, what are your three biggest needs? What if you could wave a magic wand and make these three things happen today. What would those three things be?”

There was silence.

The leader actually paused and said, “wow, that’s a great question.” Then after a few more seconds of silence, he went into all sorts of detail around competition, dealing with market changes, and needing new ideas.

Boom! The tables had turned. It was not about me – it was about HIM. And the more he talked about HIM, the more I identified ways I could help be a problem solver for his major issues. Could I help with all of them? No. But were there some that I could say, “Oh, I have done that.” You bet there were.

Just how impactful was the question I asked? The NEXT DAY I received a phone call from the company saying they wanted to meet with me to learn more about me and areas I could fit.

The lesson? Be Mr. Wolf. Solve problems.


Take this lesson to heart and improve your chances of finding a job.

Fran

No comments: