Friday, February 27, 2009

Expanding Your Horizons

It's important that you take risks when you are job searching, that you try something new and different instead of just sticking with what worked in the past. This poem is something I wrote about taking risks in Toastmasters, but it works no matter what you are doing. Be willing to try something new - a new taste sensation, a food you haven't tried before, a job that seems interesting, a book you haven't read... The possibilities are limitless and your personal growth will be tremendous if you try one new thing each and every day. By the end of the year you will have tried 365 new things. Some you will like, and some you won't, but you will have enhanced your capabilities.

You may not have heard about Toastmasters, but if you haven't, you should look it up at www.toastmasters.org and find the club nearest to you. Go and attend a ocuple of meetings. You will learn many new skills there which will help you in your job search. Toastmasters is all about communication - both speaking and listening. Members learn how to think on their feet and come up with answers to spontaneous questions. You will be amazed at how well this prepares you for interviews.

Trying Something New

Expand my horizons?
Oh no, I’m too scared,
I don’t think I’d know what to do.
I’ve grown used to the comfort
Of just coming and listening,
And maybe doing timing, or ah counting or quizzing.
But take on a role of Toastmaster, no way.
I might make mistakes. What would I say?
And table topics is frightening, people might boo,
When I introduce a topic or two.

Expand my horizons
Do you really think I could?
The thought just scares me to death.
Well, ok, not quite, but almost, but then,
That’s how I felt before I began
My weekly sessions at Toastmasters.
So maybe I can.
Ok, yes I’ll do it.
Sign me up.

I did it, I did it, and I did ok.
I really expanded my horizons today.
And it felt so good I’ll do it again,
Just give me that schedule
And I’ll put down my name.
Perhaps next week I’ll give my next speech
Or maybe even the word of the week.

My confidence grows with every new step,
And I look forward to things that I haven’t done yet.
I’m expanding my horizons and I’ll continue to soar,
As each week I’ll do something and then one thing more.

I want to say thank you to all of the group.
It’s because of you I was able to do it,
Because you supported me all the way through it.
Thank you for being there when I was afraid.
Thank you for helping me to be prepared.
Thank you for showing me how it is done.
Thank you for sharing and for having fun.

So expand your horizons and try something new.
Or you’ll never know just what you can do.


Here's to taking risks and facing challenges head on!!

Fran Watson

www.franwatson.ca/publicspeaking.html

No comments: